Pages

Follow me on Instagram

2/12/09

Fernie Junior Freeski Competiton

Last week I journeyed to Fernie for the junior freeskiing competiton. I had heard that the conditions were going to be super hard and sketchy but our first day there, we got about 10cms of snow which softened everything up pretty well and allowed us to charge like 5x as hard. I had a good day scoping out lines and testing them on Friday, then that night I rolled over to my pal Dylan's house to shred his sick little backyard rail for a bit.




Sample 8 from Dylan Siggers on Vimeo.


We had to wake up bright and early on Saturday for the competitor's meeting and to get a few last inspection runs before our qualifying runs. Since I am in the oldest category and we run last, I had a few hours to burn so me and my home dawgs Brodie and Jacob met up with former Rossland local - Jamie Rizzuto. He showed us all the gnarly airs and lines and kept the vibes high and flowing.

The venue for the qualifiers was on Easter Bowl which is pretty mellow with not very many features, but it is long and fast so it showed who the strong skiers were. I qualified 3rd so I was pretty happy with that.

For finals they switched the venue to Big Bang which is shorter, steeper and has more features. The run got super skied out the day before so the conditions we pretty sketchy, in my run I hit a solid 10-12 foot drop onto flat hardpack with a 1 ski length takeoff about half a foot wide. I stomped my run clean and stayed in 3rd place. Overall I'm really happy with that result in my first bigger competition after destroying my shoulder in late December.


No comments:

Post a Comment

booyahkashaa.